These are my toddler’s new favorite breakfast! She thinks the idea of a cookie for breakfast is just about the most amazing thing Mommy has ever let her do!
They whip up so quickly and are healthy and yummy. The base recipe, with no add ins, is only about 180 calories and has 11g of protein! The flavor options are limitless and I’ve included 4 to get you started.
Experiment! Try any combination of ingredients that sounds good to you. These are a blank canvas! I can’t wait to try a dried cherry with dark chocolate cookie but I’m out of dried cherries! They are on the list for next week’s shopping and I expect that cookie will be my favorite. Peanut butter chocolate chip is the toddler’s favorite, followed by the classic raisin and walnut. Enjoy!
Mix & Match Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie Recipe – 4 flavors
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal (gluten free if you need)
- 1 Tbsp flour (of your choice, anything works here. I use a gluten free 1 to 1 mix.)
- 1 – 2 tsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 – 2 tsp milk
- 3-6 Tbsp add-ins of your choice, see suggestions at end of recipe
- Mix all ingredients except add-ins in small bowl until well combined.
- Add your add-ins and mix until combined. If your batter is too thick to pour, add a little extra milk. If it’s too thin, you can add a little extra flour. You want it to be a little looser than traditional oatmeal cookie batter.
- Grease a microwave proof plate (butter, coconut oil, or nonstick spray all work just fine).
- Pour the cookie batter onto your greased plate and spread it out into a large cookie shape. Thin will get crispy in the microwave, thick will stay chewy.
- Microwave 2 minutes on high. Allow to cool slightly before eating. You can eat it with a spoon or cut into wedges.
- Chocolate Peanut butter – Replace the flour with PB2. If you do not have PB2, you can replace both the flour and the milk with 1 Tbsp of peanut butter. Add 1-2 Tbsp chocolate chips.
- Apple Cinnamon – Add 2-3 Tbsp finely diced apple, 2-3 Tbsp chopped walnuts or almonds, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Cranberry Almond – Add 2-3 Tbsp dried cranberries and 2-3 Tbsp chopped or slivered almonds. 1/4 tsp vanilla optional but adds a great flavor.
- Raisin Walnut – Add 2-3 Tbsp raisins and 2-3 Tbsp chopped walnuts. 1/4 tsp cinnamon or vanilla or both, optional.
- Dark Chocolate Cherry – Add 2-3 Tbsp dried cherries and 1-2 Tbsp chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips.